Monday, November 10, 2008

Talkin' to a man

When I got Samara up from her nap yesterday afternoon, she said, "Talkin' to a man?" I said, "What man, Samara?" "Right there," she pointed to the wall. "Talkin' to a man."

Now, I'm not sure why I asked this, but ever since reading the relevant passage in The Shack the other night, I have had a vivid picture of Jesus having a conversation with Missy in the truck (if you've read The Shack, you know what I'm talking about).

So, I asked Samara, "Were you talking to Jesus?" In all of her sleepy matter-of-fact cuteness, Samara said, "Yep!"


When I brought her out to Tim in the living room, I told him that Samara had been talking to a man in her room. I told Samara to tell Daddy who she was talking to. "Jesus." Tim was wide-eyed. But lest he think she'd had a vision, I told him that I'd prompted the possibility.

But who knows, maybe she was talking to Jesus.

And even if she wasn't, with all of the Jesus Loves Me's and pictures of Jesus in her Children's Bibles and all the times we pray in Jesus' name, she must be beginning to have an inkling of an awareness that Jesus is someone who loves her. Jesus is someone she can talk to - on dark wintry afternoons in her night-light-lit bedroom when she wakes up from her nap.

On her way in to her room last night, she said, "Talkin' to Jesus?"

Yes, Samara Grace. You can talk to Jesus.